The POn an early morning in 1919, Poly students walked out of their dorms to see a giant H on the side of their mountain. Knowing immediately the hated students from San Luis Obispo High School had put it there as a prank, the boys raced up the hill and reformed the whitewashed rocks into a P1. The P never came down, and has stood for nearly a century, persevering through the growth of the 50s, the hostility of the 70s, and the social conflicts of today.The P has taken many forms throughout its reign at Poly. It was purposely placed in a spot that could be viewed from three specific locations: the old administration building’s porch, Highway 101, and the air, as flying was becoming popular. The original was an outline of white rocks filled with white limestone, but became a nuisance when the rains came and washed the rocks away1. The second was built by the Block “P” club in the 50s with whitewashed barn doors, but did not last long. High school students went up to the P one night and set it on fire. It was replaced with a wooden structure until a more stable P could be built. Finally in 1957 the engineering department and the Delta Sigma Pi fraternity constructed the P we see today2.Taking care of the P has been a responsibility passed to many organizations over the years. In the 1920s, the all boys’ school held a competition between the freshmen and sophomores to see who would monitor it for the school year. The freshmen . . . read more.
July 03, 2010 04:32 AM